UPDATE: Young Linguists go online on December 11, 2020! Instructions for the online session will follow.
You are cordially invited to the annual International Meeting of Young Linguists. The conference boasts 19 years’ tradition which started in 2000 at the Institute of the Czech Language of the Academy of Sciences, Prague, and has been continued since 2001 at Palacký University in Olomouc.
Language(s) United and Separated
- Can words unite or separate the society?
- How strong are words? How strong are we on using our mother tongue?
- How does a choice of words affect public opinion?
- Are the public speeches products of one speaker only? Who speaks for the famous?
- Is there a boundary between standard and non-standard language?
- Can modern technologies abuse the language?
- How do we use language abroad? What is the language of our body like?
The programme of the conference includes the traditional panel sessions:
- Diachronic Workshop
- Czech as the Second Language
- Translation and Linguistics
- Language of Media
- “. . . in words a human is clothed in”: Language in Cognitive Perspective
Time and place: December 11, 2020
Faculty of Arts, Palacký University in Olomouc
Křížkovského 10, 771 80 Olomouc, Czech Republic
Who can participate?
As a speaker anyone who:
a) is interested in language and speech, texts and textuality, communication
b) wants to give a presentation, take part in discussions, and listen to others
c) has completed an M.A./Mgr. programme and has no higher degree than Ph.D.
As a visitor anyone who meets the criteria under (a) and (b).
Who are the organizers?
Department of Czech Studies, Faculty of Arts, Palacký University in Olomouc, affiliated to the Linguistic Association of the Czech Republic, Prague.
What are the conference languages?
Czech, Slovak, English
What are the topics to be discussed?
a) Main programme:
- papers on the main and/or related topics
b) Panel sessions:
- organized as round table sessions with a discussion panel:
- Diachronic Workshop (Robert Dittmann)
- Czech as the Second Language (Jitka Horáková, Tereza Koudelíková)
- Translation and Linguistics (Petr Kabelka, Eva Nováková)
- Language in Media (Wendy Zimmerová)
- “. . . in words a human is clothed in”: Language in Cognitive Perspective (Markéta Dosoudilová, Jakub Wenzel)
The conference hosts the 9th National Competition for undergraduate students (students of MA/Mgr. and BA/Bc. programmes) STUDENT AND SCIENCE: Linguistics. The winning papers will be presented within the main conference programme and published in the peer-reviewed conference proceedings.
Call for papers:
- the registration form
- abstract submission + standard registration deadline is September 30, 2020
- notification of acceptance to be appointed
Fees and payments (updated):
- the online conference fee is 500 CZK (it will be used to cover the costs associated with the publication of conference proceedings)
- the conference fee should be paid either to the conference bank account (deadline to be specified) (see instructions below), or during the registration on the first day of the venue in cash (we accept only CZK currency!)
Important information to make your payment:
Account number (IBAN): CZ9801000000433855090287
Variable symbol: 99215061
Specific symbol: will be specified for each participant at the moment of notifying the acceptance
SWIFT code: KOMBCZPPxxx
- an evening get-together in a restaurant
Katedra bohemistiky (Department of Czech language)
Filozofická fakulta (Faculty of Arts)
Univerzita Palackého (Palacký University)
771 47 Olomouc
Tel.: 00420 585 633 145
Boards of reviewers:
- doc. PhDr. Ivana Bozděchová, CSc. (FF UK Praha)
- prof. PhDr. Jana Hoffmannová, DrSc. (ÚJČ AV ČR)
- doc. PhDr. Eva Höflerová, Ph.D. (FPF SLU Opava)
- doc. PhDr. Eva Jandová, Ph.D. (FF OU Ostrava)
- doc. PhDr. Karel Komárek, Ph.D. (FF UP Olomouc)
- doc. Mgr. Pavel Kosek, Ph.D. (FF MU Brno)
- prof. PhDr. Jan Kořenský, DrSc. (FF UP Olomouc)
- prof. Dr. habil. Peter Kosta (University of Potsdam)
- prof. PhDr. Marie Krčmová, CSc. (FF MU Brno)
- prof. Melissa Shih-hui Lin (National Chengchi University, Taipei)
- prof. PhDr. Petr Mareš, CSc. (FF UK Praha)
- prof. Anna Maria Perissutti, Ph.D. (University of Udine)
- doc. RNDr. Vladimír Petkevič, CSc. (FF UK Praha)
- prof. PhDr. Libuše Spáčilová, Dr. (FF UP Olomouc)
- prof. Ludmila Stěpanova, CSc. (FF UP Olomouc)
- prof. PhDr. Jarmila Tárnyiková, CSc. (FF UP Olomouc)
- doc. PhDr. Marie Vachková, Ph.D. (FF UK Praha)
- doc. PhDr. Zdeňka Vychodilová, CSc. (FF UP Olomouc)
- prof. Mgr. Lic. Lenka Zajícová, Ph.D. (FF UP Olomouc)
September 30, 2020: deadline for abstract submission and standard registration
November 2020: notification of acceptance
December 11, 2020: conference venue
Board of organizers:
- Božena Bednaříková (head of the board of organizers)
- Denisa Brumarová
- Kateřina Danielová
- Markéta Dosoudilová
- Jitka Horáková
- Petr Kabelka (proceedings editor)
- Michaela Kopečková
- Tereza Koudelíková
- Magdaléna Lapúniková
- Eva Nováková
- Monika Pitnerová
- Pavlína Stůjová (proceedings editor)
- Kateřina Szokalová
- Wendy Zimmerová
- Alžběta Zdeňková
Please submit your paper as an attachement to email@example.com.
The paper must include the following:
- paper title, author’s name, affiliation (the official name of your institution including the city and the country), author’s email at the institution
- key words
- citations of sources following the author-date system (references to the sources in text + works cited)