You are cordially invited to the annual International Meeting of Young Linguists called
The conference boasts 24 years’ tradition which started in 2000 at the Institute of the Czech Language of the Academy of Sciences, Prague, and has been continued since 2001 at Palacký University in Olomouc.
Main topics of the conference:
- How do media depict the present-day world and society?
- What are the contemporary buzzwords in the media?
- Does present-day communication involve increasing manipulation?
- Can linguistic analysis help reveal disinformation?
- Does objectivity exist in language?
- Can incomprehensibility ever be desirable in communication?
- What barriers to communication arise from cultural differences?
- Can speakers of the Slavic languages understand one another?
- What is the influence of non-verbal means of communication on comprehensibility?
- Can the contemporary social development influence the development of languages?
- What are the cross-generational barriers in language?
- Does our ability to interpret texts change in time?
- Does language divide, or unify the societies . . .
- . . . or can we bridge the social gaps through language?
Time and place:
15th–16th May 2023
Faculty of Arts, Palacký University in Olomouc
Křížkovského 10, 771 80 Olomouc, Czech Republic
Who can participate?
As Speaker anyone who:
a) is interested in language and communication
b) wants to give a presentation, take part in discussions, and share ideas with the others
c) has completed an M.A./Mgr. programme and has no higher degree than Ph.D.
As Visitor anyone who:
meets the criteria under (a) and (b).
Who are the organizers?
Department of Czech Studies, Faculty of Arts, Palacký University in Olomouc, affiliated to the Linguistic Association of the Czech Republic, Prague.
What are the conference languages?
Czech, Slovak, English
What are the topics to be discussed?
Laura A. Janda (Professor of Russian Linguistics, UiT The Arctic University of Norway): The Hidden Meaning of Case in Putin’s Speeches
- papers on the main and/or related topics
Panel sessions and Workshops
organized as round table sessions with a discussion panel:
Diachronic workshop – Robert Dittmann
Language, cognition, sign – Yuliia Mostova + Eugenio Israel Chávez Barreto
Linguistic creativity – Jiří Mánek
In/Outside the language(s) – Kateřina Žvaková a David Lavička
Czech as a foreign language – Michaela Kopečková a Pavla Poláchová
Book of Abstracts:
The conference hosts the 12th National Competition for undergraduate students (students of MA/Mgr. and BA/Bc. programmes) STUDENT AND SCIENCE: Linguistics. The winning papers will be presented within the main conference programme and published in the peer-reviewed conference proceedings.
Call for papers:
- registration form
- abstract submission + standard registration deadline is 21st April 2023 – extended!
- notification of acceptance by 1st May 2023
Fees and payments:
- the conference fee is:
- Ph.D. students EUR 35
- other researchers EUR 50
- the conference fee should be paid either to the conference bank account before 11th May 2023 (see instructions below), or during the registration on the first day of the venue in cash (we accept only CZK currency!)
Important information to make your payment:
- Account number (IBAN): CZ9801000000433855090287
- Variable symbol: 99215061
- SWIFT code: KOMBCZPPxxx
- an evening get-together in a restaurant
Katedra bohemistiky (Department of Czech language)
Filozofická fakulta (Faculty of Arts)
Univerzita Palackého (Palacký University)
771 47 Olomouc
Tel.: 00420 585 633 145
Board of reviewers:
- doc. PhDr. Ivana Bozděchová, CSc. (FF UK Praha)
- prof. PhDr. Jana Hoffmannová, DrSc. (ÚJČ AV ČR)
- doc. PhDr. Eva Höflerová, Ph.D. (FPF SLU Opava)
- doc. PhDr. Eva Jandová, Ph.D. (FF OU Ostrava)
- doc. PhDr. Karel Komárek, Ph.D. (FF UP Olomouc)
- prof. Melissa Shih-hui Lin (National Chengchi University, Taipei)
- prof. PhDr. Petr Mareš, CSc. (FF UK Praha)
- doc. RNDr. Vladimír Petkevič, CSc. (FF UK Praha)
- prof. PhDr. Libuše Spáčilová, Dr. (FF UP Olomouc)
- doc. Mgr. Jana Šnytová, Ph.D. (University of Ljubljana)
- prof. PhDr. Jarmila Tárnyiková, CSc. (FF UP Olomouc)
- doc. PhDr. Marie Vachková, Ph.D. (FF UK Praha)
- doc. PhDr. Zdeňka Vychodilová, CSc. (FF UP Olomouc)
- prof. Mgr. Lic. Lenka Zajícová, Ph.D. (FF UP Olomouc)
- 21st April 2023: deadline for abstract submission and standard registration
- 1st May 2023: notification of acceptance
- 7th May 2023: conference programme
- 11th May 2023: fee payment deadline
- 15th–16th May 2023: conference venue
Board of organizers:
- Božena Bednaříková (vedoucí org. týmu)
- Michaela Kopečková
- Tereza Koudelíková
- Magdaléna Lapúniková
- David Lavička
- Zuzana Maleňáková
- Jiří Mánek
- Yuliia Mostova
- Eva Nováková
- Pavla Poláchová
- Jakub Wenzel
- Kateřina Žvaková
The paper must include the following:
- paper title, author’s name, affiliation (the official name of your institution including the city and the country), author’s email at the institution
- key words
- citations of sources following the author-date system (references to the sources in text + works cited)