You are cordially invited to the annual International Meeting of Young Linguists. The conference boasts 19 years’ tradition which started in 2000 at the Institute of the Czech Language of the Academy of Sciences, Prague, and has been continued since 2001 at Palacký University in Olomouc.
For 20 years the young linguists have discussed forms and functions of languages and their similarities and differences both behind and beyond the gates of Palacký University. We have witnessed the development of languages in time and in minds of their speakers. The modern world, despite its everchanging nature, still relies on natural languages, but—just to be sure—we have taught speaking to computers, too. We have never stopped equipping the languages with new concepts and varieties of meaning, both consciously and subconsciously;
on the other hand, we have been always aware that these systems need equilibrium. For this reason, the least frequent linguistic elements are slowly abandoned, disappearing from everyday use and written documents.
While human bodies travel through the internet and a large global village, they absorb more languages that open new horizons to their minds. Contrasting our mother tongue with other languages from the perspective of a student, a teacher, a translator or a linguist allows everyone to explore new contexts and worlds and, consequently, to transform and understand our selves better.
The programme of the conference includes the traditional panel sessions:
- Diachronic Workshop
- Czech as the Second Language
- Translation Studies and Linguistics
- Expressivity in Media
- Cognitive Linguistics
Time and place: May 13–15, 2019
Faculty of Arts, Palacký University in Olomouc
Křížkovského 10, 771 47 Olomouc, Czech Republic
Who can participate?
As a speaker anyone who:
a) is interested in language and speech, texts and textuality, communication
b) wants to give a presentation, take part in discussions, and listen to others
c) has completed an M.A./Mgr. programme and has no higher degree than Ph.D.
As a visitor anyone who meets the criteria under (a) and (b).
Who are the organizers?
Department of Czech Studies, Faculty of Arts, Palacký University in Olomouc, affiliated to the Linguistic Association of the Czech Republic, Prague.
What are the conference languages?
Czech, Slovak, English
What are the topics to be discussed?
a) Main programme:
- papers on the main and/or related topics
b) Panel sessions:
- organized as round table sessions with a discussion panel:
- Diachronic Workshop (Robert Dittmann)
- Czech as the Second Language (Michaela Kopečková + Kateřina Szokalová)
- Translation Studies and Linguistics (Petr Kabelka + Magda Lapúniková + Eva Nováková)
- Expressivity in Media (Wendy Zimmerová)
- Cognitive Linguistics (Markéta Dosoudilová)
The conference hosts the 9th National Competition for undergraduate students (students of MA/Mgr. and BA/Bc. programmes) STUDENT AND SCIENCE: Linguistics. The winning papers will be presented within the main conference programme and published in the peer-reviewed conference proceedings.
Call for papers:
- the registration form can be downloaded from HERE (doc.)
- abstract submission + standard registration deadline is April 13, 2019
send your registration form and abstract to the conference address email@example.com
- notification of acceptance on April 30, 2019
Fees and payments:
- the conference fee is 1,200 CZK (it will be used to cover the costs associated with the publication of conference proceedings)
- the conference fee should be paid either to the conference bank account before May 7, 2019 (see instructions below), or during the registration on the first day of the venue in cash (we accept only CZK currency!)
Important information to make your payment:
Account number (IBAN): CZ9801000000433855090287
Variable symbol: 99215061
Specific symbol: will be specified for each participant at the moment of notifying the acceptance
SWIFT code: KOMBCZPPxxx
- an evening get-together in a restaurant
Katedra bohemistiky (Department of Czech language)
Filozofická fakulta (Faculty of Arts)
Univerzita Palackého (Palacký University)
771 47 Olomouc
Tel.: 00420 585 633 145
Boards of reviewers:
- doc. PhDr. Ivana Bozděchová, CSc. (FF UK Praha)
- prof. PhDr. Jana Hoffmannová, DrSc. (ÚJČ AV ČR)
- doc. PhDr. Eva Höflerová, Ph.D. (FPF SLU Opava)
- doc. PhDr. Eva Jandová, Ph.D. (FF OU Ostrava)
- doc. PhDr. Karel Komárek, Ph.D. (FF UP Olomouc)
- doc. Mgr. Pavel Kosek, Ph.D. (FF MU Brno)
- prof. PhDr. Jan Kořenský, DrSc. (FF UP Olomouc)
- prof. Dr. habil. Peter Kosta (University of Potsdam)
- prof. PhDr. Marie Krčmová, CSc. (FF MU Brno)
- prof. Melissa Shih-hui Lin (National Chengchi University, Taipei)
- prof. PhDr. Petr Mareš, CSc. (FF UK Praha)
- prof. Anna Maria Perissutti, Ph.D. (University of Udine)
- doc. RNDr. Vladimír Petkevič, CSc. (FF UK Praha)
- prof. PhDr. Libuše Spáčilová, Dr. (FF UP Olomouc)
- prof. Ludmila Stěpanova, CSc. (FF UP Olomouc)
- prof. PhDr. Jarmila Tárnyiková, CSc. (FF UP Olomouc)
- doc. PhDr. Marie Vachková, Ph.D. (FF UK Praha)
- doc. PhDr. Zdeňka Vychodilová, CSc. (FF UP Olomouc)
- prof. Mgr. Lic. Lenka Zajícová, Ph.D. (FF UP Olomouc)
April 13, 2019: deadline for abstract submission and standard registration
April 30, 2019: notification of acceptance
May 7, 2019: fee payment deadline
May 13–15, 2019: conference venue
Board of organizers:
- Božena Bednaříková (head of the board of organizers)
- Denisa Brumarová
- Kateřina Danielová
- Markéta Dosoudilová
- Jitka Horáková
- Petr Kabelka (proceedings editor)
- Michaela Kopečková
- Tereza Koudelíková
- Magdaléna Lapúniková
- Eva Nováková
- Monika Pitnerová
- Pavlína Stůjová (proceedings editor)
- Kateřina Szokalová
- Wendy Zimmerová
- Alžběta Zdeňková
Please submit your paper before December 31, 2019 as an attachement to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The paper must include the following:
- paper title, author’s name, affiliation (the official name of your institution including the city and the country), author’s email at the institution
- key words
- citations of sources following the author-date system (references to the sources in text + works cited)