You are cordially invited to the annual International Meeting of Young Linguists called
Potential of the Change
The conference boasts 23 years’ tradition which started in 2000 at the Institute of the Czech Language of the Academy of Sciences, Prague, and has been continued since 2001 at Palacký University in Olomouc.
Main topics of the conference:
- which changes resulted in a present-day state of language?what are the potential changes for the future?
- what are the perspectives and functions of dialect continua?
- what are the impacts of the covid crisis on language?
- where is the online communication heading?
- can language changes reflect the mindset of a linguistic group?
- do language changes provoke social changes and vice versa?
- what is the future of gender and political correctness?
- what motivates and drives language changes?
- the (un)stable world: extra-linguistic dynamism encoded in language
- linguistic propaganda and manipulation in the course of history
- the language of Generation Z
- Czech language in 2000/2011/2022
Time and place:
16th–17th May 2022
Faculty of Arts, Palacký University in Olomouc
Křížkovského 10, 771 80 Olomouc, Czech Republic
Who can participate?
As Speaker anyone who:
a) is interested in language and communication
b) wants to give a presentation, take part in discussions, and share ideas with the others
c) has completed an M.A./Mgr. programme and has no higher degree than Ph.D.
As Visitor anyone who:
meets the criteria under (a) and (b).
Who are the organizers?
Department of Czech Studies, Faculty of Arts, Palacký University in Olomouc, affiliated to the Linguistic Association of the Czech Republic, Prague.
What are the conference languages?
Czech, Slovak, English
What are the topics to be discussed?
a) Main programme:
- papers on the main and/or related topics
b) Panel sessions and Workshops
organized as round table sessions with a discussion panel:
Czech as a Foreign Language: Tense in a Nutshell (Tereza Koudelíková, Kateřina Žvaková)
Intercultural Communication (Magdaléna Lapúniková, Eva Nováková, Stanislav Pisklák)
Diachronic Workshop (Robert Dittmann)
Cognitive Linguistics (Jakub Wenzel)
The conference hosts the 11th National Competition for undergraduate students (students of MA/Mgr. and BA/Bc. programmes) STUDENT AND SCIENCE: Linguistics. The winning papers will be presented within the main conference programme and published in the peer-reviewed conference proceedings.
Call for papers:
- registration form
- abstract submission + standard registration deadline is 15th April 2022
- notification of acceptance by 2nd May 2022
Fees and payments:
- the conference fee is 35 EUR
- the conference fee should be paid either to the conference bank account before 12th May 2022 (see instructions below), or during the registration on the first day of the venue in cash (we accept only CZK currency!)
Important information to make your payment:
- Account number (IBAN): CZ9801000000433855090287
- Variable symbol: 99215061
- SWIFT code: KOMBCZPPxxx
- an evening get-together in a restaurant
Katedra bohemistiky (Department of Czech language)
Filozofická fakulta (Faculty of Arts)
Univerzita Palackého (Palacký University)
771 47 Olomouc
Tel.: 00420 585 633 145
Board of reviewers:
- doc. PhDr. Ivana Bozděchová, CSc. (FF UK Praha)
- prof. PhDr. Jana Hoffmannová, DrSc. (ÚJČ AV ČR)
- doc. PhDr. Eva Höflerová, Ph.D. (FPF SLU Opava)
- doc. PhDr. Eva Jandová, Ph.D. (FF OU Ostrava)
- doc. PhDr. Karel Komárek, Ph.D. (FF UP Olomouc)
- prof. PhDr. Jan Kořenský, DrSc. (FF UP Olomouc)
- prof. Dr. habil. Peter Kosta (University of Potsdam)
- prof. PhDr. Marie Krčmová, CSc. (FF MU Brno)
- prof. Melissa Shih-hui Lin (National Chengchi University, Taipei)
- prof. PhDr. Petr Mareš, CSc. (FF UK Praha)
- prof. Anna Maria Perissutti, Ph.D. (University of Udine)
- doc. RNDr. Vladimír Petkevič, CSc. (FF UK Praha)
- prof. PhDr. Libuše Spáčilová, Dr. (FF UP Olomouc)
- prof. Ludmila Stěpanova, CSc. (FF UP Olomouc)
- prof. PhDr. Jarmila Tárnyiková, CSc. (FF UP Olomouc)
- doc. PhDr. Marie Vachková, Ph.D. (FF UK Praha)
- doc. PhDr. Zdeňka Vychodilová, CSc. (FF UP Olomouc)
- prof. Mgr. Lic. Lenka Zajícová, Ph.D. (FF UP Olomouc)
- 15th April 2022: deadline for abstract submission and standard registration
- 2nd May 2022: notification of acceptance
- 8th May 2022: conference programme
- 12th May 2022: fee payment deadline
- 16th–17th May 2022: conference venue
Board of organizers:
- Božena Bednaříková (head of the board of organizers)
- Ondřej Geppert
- Jitka Horáková (proceedings editor)
- Michaela Kopečková
- Tereza Koudelíková
- Magdaléna Lapúniková
- David Lavička
- Zuzana Maleňáková
- Eva Nováková
- Jakub Wenzel
- Kateřina Žvaková
Papers presented at the conference can be published in the peer-reviewed proceedings. The deadline of submission in 2022 is to be specified.
Update: Papers from 2020/21 have been sent to the authors for checking.
For more details please contact the editor in chief at email@example.com.
The paper must include the following:
- paper title, author’s name, affiliation (the official name of your institution including the city and the country), author’s email at the institution
- key words
- citations of sources following the author-date system (references to the sources in text + works cited)